Mother Sues Pharmacy Over 6-Year-Old Daughter’s Fatal Morphine Overdose
A Houston mother is suing a local pharmacy for $1 million claiming staff killed her six-year-old daughter by mistakenly giving the child pain medication 10 times too strong.
Simone Allen’s daughter Jadalyn Williams was born with sickle-cell anemia and had received a low dosage prescription of morphine sulfate since she was a year old to help manage her pain.
On March 28, 2012, Williams was prescribed her usual 15mg dose of the drug and the family filled the prescription at Cullen Care Pharmacy, where they had been customers for 10 years.
But when Allen gave Jadalyn her usual single dose of the medication on April 2, 2012, as instructed on the bottle, the little girl mysteriously died the following day.
‘I miss her,’ Allen said, according to KHOU News.
Jadalyn’s cause of death was ruled morphine toxicity and the manner of death ruled an accident.
But the tests showed the prescription was not 15mg as stipulated by the girl’s pediatrician but 150mg, 10-times as concentrated a liquid as it should have been.
‘They gave me the medicine to help her with her pain and it ended up killing her,’ Allen said.
The distraught mother filed the civil lawsuit this week and is seeking damages of up to $1 million. She and her attorneys also wants answers from the pharmacy or its insurer.
‘And I would like to know whether they have been disciplined, trained or whether it’s just business as usual for them,’ attorney Muhammad Aziz said of the unidentified person who filled the prescription.
Allen said noone at the pharmacy had even apologized to her for the deadly mistake.
‘I do want an apology,’ Allen said. ‘I lost my child. Why wouldn’t you call me to say Simone I’m sorry? I trusted them with my kid’s medicine and they made a mistake and I don’t want them to do it to anyone else.’
KHOU 11 News contacted the pharmacy to get a response to the lawsuit but their calls were not returned.